Commercial Spaceflight Federation
Position Title: Assistant Director
Reports to: President and Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC
Salary: Competitive with other DC nonprofit organizations
The Commercial Spaceflight Federation (CSF) is an industry association comprised of leading businesses and organizations working to advance commercial human spaceflight. The mission of the CSF is to promote the development of commercial human spaceflight, pursue ever-higher levels of safety, and share best practices and expertise throughout the industry.
Currently, more than 50 businesses and organizations are members of the CSF. Executive Members include commercial suborbital and orbital vehicle developers, operators, and spaceports. Associate Members include suppliers and service providers supporting commercial spaceflight. The CSF currently employs three full-time staff, a President, an Executive Director and an Assistant Director, as well as several advisors and consultants.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will be energetic, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, personable, and passionate about commercial spaceflight and space exploration. Individuals with a background in engineering, science, or space policy particularly encouraged to apply. The Assistant Director’s specific responsibilities include:
- Industry Expertise – Develop a deep knowledge of the commercial spaceflight industry, including CSF member companies, their vehicles and plans, commercial spaceflight service providers, and industry customers.
- Industry and Member Relations – Work on a daily basis with representatives from the CSF’s member companies and with other strategic partners and organizations across the aerospace industry. Some travel is required for conferences and meetings.
- Operations and Management – Manage, under the supervision of the Executive Director, aspects of the day-to-day operations of the organization, including hiring, managing, and evaluating CSF interns, organizing member company input into organization processes and ensuring compliance with appropriate laws and regulations for the organization.
- Fundraising – Assist with fundraising necessary to accomplish the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Government and Public Relations – Liaise directly with the Federal government including the White House, NASA, the FAA, and Congress. Work with the CSF members to achieve consensus on public policy and legislative priorities. Oversee media relations consultants and develop and coordinate industry-wide messaging, in addition to drafting and distributing CSF specific press releases.
- Event Planning – Organize industry events, including semiannual meetings of the members and Board, promotional events on Capitol Hill, and occasional CSF workshops. Commercial Spaceflight Federation Board meetings are multi-day events for CSF member senior executives that include large dinners, VIP tours of company facilities, and visits by senior government officials.
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive compensation package based upon background and experience that includes base salary and reimbursement for a private health insurance plan.
Email cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject “CSF Assistant Director Application.”