Don’t miss your chance to work with us!
The Commercial Spaceflight Federation, a 501(c)6 organization, is the leading trade association for the commercial spaceflight industry. Founded in 2006, CSF and its members are laying the foundation for a sustainable space economy and democratizing access to space for scientists, students, civilians, and businesses. CSF members are responsible for the creation of thousands of high-tech jobs driven by billions of dollars in investment. Through the promotion of technology innovation, CSF is guiding the expansion of Earth’s economic sphere, bolstering U.S. leadership in aerospace, and inspiring America’s next generation of engineers and explorers.
Currently, more than 85 businesses and organizations are members of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation. Members include commercial suborbital and orbital vehicle developers, satellite manufacturers, operators, spaceports, and service providers supporting commercial spaceflight. CSF currently employs four full-time staff who run strategic policy initiatives for the organization in addition to day-to-day operations.
Board of Directors / Companies: ABL Space Systems, Arizona State University, Axiom Space, Blue Origin, Cecil Spaceport, COMSPOC, ISS National Laboratory, MAXAR, Midland International Air and Space Port, Mojave Air and Space Port, Planet, Redwire, Relativity Space, Rocket Lab, Sierra Space, Southwest Research Institute, Space Florida, Space Perspective, SpaceX, Stoke Space, Virgin Galactic, Voyager Space, and World View
For more information, including a full list of current Members and Board of Directors, please visit visit www.commercialspaceflight.org.
LOCATION: Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
- Members & staff of the United States Congress
- White House & National Space Council
- FAA Office of Commercial Space Transportation
- NASA Leadership, Relevant Associate Administrators and NASA Center Directors
- Department of Commerce & Office of Space Commerce
- Space Industry Media Contacts
- Commercial space companies and industry associations
The Commercial Spaceflight Federation (CSF) seeks an entrepreneurial, dynamic, and innovative President with the demonstrated skills to lead a dynamic and fast-paced trade association representing cutting edge space companies and a high-profile and rapidly maturing industry sector.
The President provides leadership to the Washington, D.C.- based Commercial Spaceflight Federation, a 501(c)6 organization representing over 85 members. Reporting to the CSF Board of Directors, the President will work in collaboration with the board to set the organization’s vision and strategy, lead the organization’s advocacy initiatives, shape legislative and regulatory policy outcomes in furtherance of member priorities, contribute to and lead standards development processes and U.S. Government advisory bodies, and improve business operations that put CSF on a path for continued financial and programmatic growth as the industry matures.
The President will further support the organization and its members by raising its external profile; forging partnerships with local, national, and global entities; empowering a high-performing, technically excellent team; and building a strong and durable organizational culture. This position requires significant visibility and the capacity to engage with influential leaders globally, in addition to leading fundraising efforts to support the organization’s mission and initiatives.
The next President of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation will be a visionary leader who will seize the opportunity to build a new chapter of prominence, policy impact, and progress for the organization. This ideal candidate will be a bold and flexible thinker with deep experience in association leadership (or other executive roles) and policy development.
Governance of CSF and Organizational Operations
Strategic direction and planning
- Set CSF’s ambitious vision and drive innovation to expand its influence, membership, and long-term viability
- Partner with the Board to set associated goals and objectives and develop corresponding operating plans; monitor goal implementation
- Communicate progress on strategic goals to the board and other relevant stakeholders
- Oversee the organization’s day-to-day operations, strategically deploying financial, human, and intellectual resources for maximum impact
- Develop and maintain a team that reflects diverse perspectives and continued professional growth
- Provide decision-making on hiring, salaries, advancement, and organization policies
Internal and External Relations
- Develop consensus with CSF members on public policy and legislative priorities and promote these positions with senior government leadership at the White House, NASA, FAA, Congress and state governments
- Foster the growth of CSF by cultivating and managing strong relationships with lawmakers, industry partners, standards setting organizations, media and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain relationships with executives at CSF’s member companies and with other strategic partners and organizations across the aerospace industry
- Represent the organization externally with trade and national press, including print, radio, and television media, and help lead industry-wide messaging and thought leadership at conferences, forums, and other events
- Amplify the visibility and reputation of CSF at the local, national, and international levels by serving as an expert sharing analysis and advice on industry developments
Growing CSF Impact and Value
- Mature CSF into leading industry regulatory and/or engineering boards, rulemaking committees and developing industry standards to stay ahead of regulations. Develop staff strength for industry consensus standards development and become the leading organization for standards progress
- Create an industry-wide marketing initiative to scale up CSF’s brand, reputation and influence.
- Lead continuous development of association member services and member benefits, and other programs to recruit and retain association members
- Identify and execute diverse revenue streams to provide value to members while increasing organizational stature, in consultation with the Board
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & QUALITIES
The next President will have a track record of success leading an organization of comparable size, scale and complexity. The President must have experience generating meaningful revenue and cultivating relationships with current and potential members and partners. Any candidate must have experience in a technology industry and thrive in a rapidly changing environment. The role requires building engagement, partnerships and alliances with a broad range of constituencies.
The President should understand the workings of Congress, the White House and Executive Agencies.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Commercial Spaceflight Federation is looking for energetic and personable interns with a passion for space. Internships typically last a semester and take place in our Washington, DC office. While here, interns will have an insider’s look into the world of commercial space policy, business, event planning, and government affairs. Those with a background in engineering, science, space policy, and event planning or students currently pursuing these fields, are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Research and create white papers/briefs about commercial space policy issues
- Assist with the organization of CSF’s Annual Conference
- Attend and support meetings on Capitol Hill and with various government agencies
- Attend and support meetings with our members, government officials, and congressional staff
- Assist with administrative and organizational tasks
- Network with other D.C. space professionals
Those interested should send a short cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject heading “DC Internship.” Eligible candidates include undergraduates, graduate students, recent graduates, and other qualified applicants. Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills are a must.
Only US Citizens may apply.
Applications for Spring 2023 are now open.